On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 03:55:14AM +0000, Andy Smith wrote:
We're planning to soon double the amount of RAM
offered for the
current price. You'll be contacted individually when this can
happen; hopefully it just happens, but if you're unlucky then you
might need to be migrated or keep the same amount of RAM for a lower
price instead. Do not panic. You can stop reading now. :)
A couple of people have asked about the progress of this, which is
fair enough as it's been over a month now. I thought I may as well
post here about it.
I hope to start doubling people's RAM in about 2 weeks.
- Ongoing migration of all customers off of
that some non-urgent hardware maintenance and a RAM upgrade can be
Migration was completed in the middle of last week, hardware work
was completed successfully yesterday.
- New server with 48GiB RAM being prepared for colo
This server ("president") is nearly ready. Extra testing required
because it'll be the first host server running Debian squeeze that
we've put into production. I expect to colo it in the next 2 weeks.
Once "president" is in I'll be updating the web site to have plans
with twice as much RAM for the same price, and I will begin doubling
the RAM of existing customers.
I will be focusing on customers with 240 or 360MiB RAM first. Some
of you will just receive an email telling you to shut down / boot to
get the extra RAM, others will receive an email telling you that
your VPS needs to be moved before you can get the additional RAM.
After that, those with more than 360MiB RAM will receive more RAM
where possible. Where it's not possible you'll instead stay at
the same amount of RAM but cheaper. I know for a fact that it's not
going to be possible to double *every* customer's RAM even with a
server move, so there is a fair chance that if you have 480MiB RAM
or more than you may not get an upgrade.
You do *not* need to contact us to stress how much you want an
upgrade, because I want to give as many people as possible an
As I said before though, if you currently have 480MiB or more RAM
*and* you're sure that you don't require double, please do contact
support(a)bitfolk.com stating your account name and asking to not
receive more RAM. When the time comes we will make your service
cheaper and give your additional RAM to someone else who does need
I hope that answered your questions. If there's anything else please
do ask on the users list or to support(a)bitfolk.com.
 Not giving you an upgrade means reducing your costs and funnily
enough decreasing our revenue is something I'd like to avoid. :)
While it would be nice to buy more servers and just do a quick
doubling, we're unfortunately not in a position to front up that
much cash for capex, and delaying it means losing more custom.
announce mailing list